Monday, April 26, 2010

Study Shows US Students Suffer Internet Addiction

The University of Maryland has conducted a study into the possible effects of the Internet on students in the US, asking 200 students to give up all media for a 24-hour period. For many, the results were similar to drug or alcohol withdrawal.
The effects included anxiety and losing the ability to function well without their vice. The study found that the most torturous part of giving up media was the lack of emailing, IM-ing, text messaging and Facebook.

One student said: "Texting and IM-ing my friends gives me a constant feeling of comfort. When I did not have those two luxuries, I felt quite alone and secluded from my life." Only a small number of students watched TV or read newspapers.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=83907

No comments:

Post a Comment